Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The Rocket-air to Russia

I've had the idea for this blog for months, and I thought I'd know what to say, but...
Anyways, I learned yesterday that I was accepted to the exchange program at school, which means I will be spending a semester at People's Friendship University in Moscow, learning Russian and exploring Russian life, culture, history, politics, and sociology. My primary goal is to improve my Russian language skills, but I also hope to gain insight and understandings of Russian culture and Moscow as a city to help me better understand Russian History. Secondarily, I hope to look into the Muscovite/Russian punk scene past and present, as well as the history of skateboarding in Russia. I realize that my deficiencies in the language will prevent a thorough or really effective study of the subjects, but this trip is only the first of many, and will be used as a basis from which to work so that I can better study the subjects in future visits. I'm so excited about this I feel I could write forever, I've dreamed of going to Russia for years and now it appears to be coming true. There are so many aspects of this, and so many things I want to see, study, and experience that it is almost overwhelming and needs focus-but as I said before this trip's purpose is to build foundations from which to build my future studies, and of course learn the requisite Russian I will need to work with, but I guess that's part of the foundation.
I also realize that I have a lot to do to prepare for this trip. I have been saving money for months, but need to save a lot more and sell my Triumph. There is a lot of research I need to do, and a lot of information I need to know before I go. I have scholarship applications, grants to find, cheap airfare, list out everything I have to see in Moscow, figure out dates of travel, what I need for the trip, what I need for school, get affairs in order, etc, etc, etc, etc...
I also must admit that I am a little nervous, this is probably the biggest leap I'll have made in my life to date, and there is a lot of preparation to be done, so I feel I can't celebrate until I'm ready to go.

4 comments:

Rowbear said...

Anthony Bordane from the food network was in Moscow last night. It was badass. You need to befriend someone with one of those vacation houses out in the country, I forgot what they're called but you need to get on that.

Joe Dees said...

a dacha

Rowbear said...

yes, a dacha

Anonymous said...

More. Updates. Please.